Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Bruce Wayne's Other World

When I first read the poem "The Other Universe of Bruce Wayne" by Bucky Sinister, I was amazed how a poem wasn't like any other poems. The poem starts off by telling the readers the name of Bruce Wayne, or Batman, and this actually made me get excited to read rather than Shakespeare's sonnets. The poem then leads onto the world where Bruce Wayne isn't a heroic, rich man and readers find out that he is an alcoholic man. We all, well almost all of us, know that the real Batman is quite the opposite of that. The Batman we are used to is more of a lucky man who is looked upon by the people for his courageous acts and intelligence. We have a strong image of Batman as the superhero that roams around the city in the dark to protect the weak and defines justice for his people. We often see the usual superhero characteristics from him.

But what happens when the superhero we know is just the opposite? The poor man gets dumped by girls all the time and can't even go to sleep properly. We actually feel sympathetic for the man and try to give him hope. The Bruce Wayne that Sinister wrote about can be seen as the real Bruce Wayne who is just as ordinary as the other people in this world. He is someone the readers can actually relate their lives just like with their friends and family. The readers can see that even a superhero needs a hand from others around him.

I found this poem really interesting because it is so different than the other poems we have went through in class. I generally like these kind of poems because they just don't look like one. It is more of literary work because of the way the poem is structured, like a short story. It also sounds like one, too. I didn't have to think deep enough to hurt my head, like those Shakespeare ones or one of those poems with Em-dashes. I don't see why this could be less of literary work because to me, it's quite brilliant.

My Villanelle
(This Villanelle is just about my favorite fictional character, Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy Seven, who goes through the most tragic event in his life: the death of his real close friend.)

I saw myself with the sword in hands.
These filthy hands of mine, I tell you.
I just wanted to save her, not to end.

It was those dangerous commands,
Couldn't fight with the one who knew.
I saw myself with the sword in hands.

What was that, that sound from long land?
It was he, the madman, out of the blue.
I just wanted to save her, not to end.

He glanced down with his evil plans.
Those eyes, those glares, I knew.
I saw myself with the sword in hands.

Kick, punch, out of my demands.
Then he went away, away he flew.
I just wanted to save her, not to end.

Please don't let her misunderstand.
These things I've done to you isn't true.
I saw myself with the sword in hands.
I just wanted to save her, not to end.


No comments:

Post a Comment